Sunday 24 April 2011

I need to break back into Mousecatraz!

So I've just completed reading a book called 'Mousecatraz' (click here to see it on Amazon) which is a book written by an ex-CP (college program cast member) with many contributions from other CPs, CMs and Managers throughout the WDW Resort. It is very geared towards the domestic American CP however several parts of the books were particularly identifiable for me even as an International CP. I have read the book in the space of about 24 hours as when I get on well with a particular book I tend to read it super fast! It made me laugh, smile and even feel a bit teary! It's not the most sophisticated writing or complex narrative but that isn't what the College Program is about. It's about memories.

WDW's latest theming for 2011/2012 is "Let The Memories Begin" and I think this is definitely an appropriate one for anyone undertaking a CP. As an applicant wanting to go back to Florida for a third program, a few people have made it clear to me that they don't think it's worth it or that it is a bit of a pointless exercise. But I couldn't agree less, especially after reading that book. Yes, it's true that by participating in the CRP I won't be gaining a full time permanent job, residency in the USA or an educational qualification... but life is about more than that - it's about experiencing new things and meeting new people. I've spent just over six months back at home in Bristol now and I feel completely claustrophobic. I spend a lot of time at work, partially because it means I can talk to people who also work for the Mouse but also because I find home life so boring when there aren't theme parks to visit, fast food restaurants open 24 hours a day or Butterbeer to drink! I can understand how my application is seen by third-party observers but that's just it - nobody understands what being a CP is like unless they've also been one! From my point of view, going back for a year-long CP would provide me with the opportunity to do lots of things I haven't done before, gain more working experience and network, make new friends and visit new places in the USA which I would love to see. Yes, I will come home and be back at square one... but then again, maybe I wouldn't be at square one - maybe another program will provide a route to square two??

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I saw your comment on my blog so I thought I'd come over and read yours. I'm going to read your two ICP blogs this evening (I'm in the library at the moment, supposedly working on my dissertation!), but for now I just thought I'd leave a comment to say good luck on your application! =D

    ReplyDelete